Presently, there are 224 such attorneys accepting child protection and court-appointment cases. That number is down from 410 such attorneys in May of 2019. The number of cases requiring indigent legal services has risen from an average of close to 26,500 to 31,257, contributing to the growing issue.
Estimated reading time: 0 minutes, 22 seconds
Scarcity of Indigent Legal Services in Maine a Growing Concern
Maine is facing a dearth of criminal defense attorneys for individuals who cannot afford to hire their own. So reports the Bangor Daily News.
Latest from Progressive Law Practice
- Arbery Shooter Denied Request to Stay in Federal Prison Rather Than State Jail
- Woman Sues Equifax Over 130-point Credit Report Mistake
- UC Hastings Law Board Votes to Change Name Amid Accusations Against Founder
- WV Judge Pulled Gun Out of Robe During Proceedings: Attorney
- Sesame Place Characters Sparks $25M class-action lawsuit