The bill, which essentially eliminates child marriages in New York, was named after a 13-year-old bride who was forced into marriage. Recently, several other states passed similar legislation including New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Minnesota and Delaware.
Estimated reading time: 0 minutes, 22 seconds
Cuomo Signs 'Nalia's Law' Raising Age of Marriage Consent to 18 in New York
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo made official a new provision raising the legal age of marriage consent to 18 after he signed the recently passed “Nalia's Law.” So reports NBC News.
Latest from Progressive Law Practice
- Smollett Trial's Bizarre Turn: Counsel Says Judge Lunged at Her During Sidebar
- Long Island Lawyer Going to Jail for Scheme to Defraud Child Out of $2M Inheritance
- Meta Fires Back at FTC in 'Buy or Bury' Lawsuit
- Group of Lawyers Backing Trump’s Electoral Claims Fined $175K
- ABA to Allow GRE to Be Used When Assessing Law School Candidates