The tomahawk is displayed in the university’s Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology. The tomahawk was once gifted to a lawyer representing Native Americans who were not yet considered “people” according to federal law.
Estimated reading time: 0 minutes, 21 seconds
Standing Bear Descendant Calls on Harvard to Return Ancestral Tomahawk
Brett Chapman, an Oklahoma attorney with Pawnee, Ponca and Kiowa heritage, is calling for Harvard University to return the single-handed axe wielded by Ponca chief Standing Bear. So reports The Guardian.
Latest from Progressive Law Practice
- SpaceX Facing Potential Prosecution Over Unlicensed Guards, Beach Closures
- Ice Cube’s Infringement Case Against Robinhood Melts with Federal Ruling
- Judge Tosses Murder Case Against Simone Biles’ Brother After Mistrial
- DOJ Pushing Death Sentence for Boston Marathon bomber
- Utah Assistant AG Apologizes for Bizarre 'Die and Go to Hell' Email